Since 1997, the Virginia Arts Festival has transformed Southeastern Virginia’s arts and cultural scene, bringing world-renowned acts of music, dance and theater, as well as educational programs from today’s most influential composers, playwrights, and choreographers to Virginia. Now, the Virginia Arts Festival is in full swing for 2021.
“Audiences are hungry for live performances, and we are committed to creating spaces where they can enjoy them safely,” stated the festival’s artistic director, Robert W. Cross. There are numerous socially-distanced live events, as well as some virtual, which provide a full spectrum of entertainment including concerts, live theater and opera.
Check out some of the new venues, great new acts, as well as some old favorites, and get more information online at VaFest.org or call the box office at 757-282-2822.
Some of the acts and entertainers include:
- Oliver Wood and his mix of blues, folk, gospel and jazz.
- Zakinthos Husain and the Masters of Percussion with sounds of drums of India, Persia, Uzbekistan and American jazz.
- Virginia Stage Company and Norfolk State University Theatre Company presenting staged readings such as How I Learned What I Learned
- Virginia Opera’s presentation of Leonard Bernstein’s Trouble in Tahiti
- The Feldman Chamber Music Society and the Brentano Quartet
- Guitarist Manuel Barreuco, the greatest guitarist on stage today according to Fanfare Magazine
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra Septet with jazz legend Wynton Marsalis
- Olga Kern, Van Cliburn Gold Medal winner
- Connie & Marc Jacobson Director of Chamber Music
- And many, many more.
Virginia International Tattoo, an annual favorite, returns with new performers, new themes of honor and patriotism, as well as a host of new sights and sounds. 2021 promises to be spectacular with an exceptional cast including extraordinary Celtic performers, inspiring U.S. military groups and an emotionally unifying celebration of our World War II veterans. This outdoor edition offers all the pageantry and inspiration worthy of their 23rd year. Don’t miss this unforgettable salute to the greatest generation.
Remember to check online at VaFest.org or social media @VaArtsFest for additional performances and announcements.
The festival follows CDC guidelines with social distancing, mask requirements, temperature checks, hand sanitizing stations and socially distant “pods” for groups.