Virginia’s Crossroads is a region of South Central Virginia that spans 11 counties, two cities, a few state and national parks plus rivers and lakes. A rich tapestry of historical sites, outdoor recreational, adventure, culture and leisure activities await those who visit. Why not plan your getaway around some great upcoming events? Here are a few to consider.
- Amelia County Fair — Aug. 5-7, at 16501 Five Forks Road Amelia, Virginia 23002 (Free entry)
- Amelia Truck Pull — Aug. 21, Tom Scott Park, 16441 Five Forks Road
- Amelia Frightfest — Sept. 25, and every weekend in October Central Virginia’s Most Terrifying Haunted Trail
- Amelia Day — Oct. 23, at the Amelia County Courthouse Square. Local food, entertainment, kids’ activities, artisan crafts, home decor, homemade baked goods, homemade jewelry, car and truck show, plant sale and more.
- Virginia Peanut Festival held in Emporia Sept. 24-25. Don’t miss this marquee event.
- Town of Kenbridge’s July Jubilee —July 17
- Town of Victoria’s Autumn Day — Oct. 9
- Victoria Fire and Rescue’s Truck and Tractor Pull — Oct. 9
- Parrish Pumpkin Patch
- Independence Day Parade — July 4, Downtown Clarksville
- Party at the Pavilion — July 10 and Aug. 14 at the Chase City Pavilion in Chase City
- 44th Annual Virginia Lake Festival — July 15-17 in downtown Clarksville, all day
- Monthly Fly-In & Breakfast — July 24 at the Chase City Airport
- Annual Cruise-In & Concert — Aug. 6 at Centennial Park, South Hill
- Annual Car Show — Aug. 7 at South Hill Elementary, South Hill
- Lake Life Live Concert — Blackwater, Aug. 7 at 5th Street Stage, Clarksville
- Bluegrass in Boydton — Aug. 28 at Boyd Tavern, Boydton (bluegrassinboydton.com)
- Lake Life Live Concert — JB & The Get Down Browns, The Embers, Sept. 5 at the 5th Street Stage, Clarksville
- Party at the Pavilion, Sept. 11 at the Chase City Pavilion, Chase City
For more information: visitmeckva.com
- Independence Day Celebration — July 3, fireworks, inflatables, food trucks and more
- Young Frankenstein — Weekends Sept. 30 through October at Wolf PAC
- Appomattox Railroad Festival — Oct. 9-10 in downtown Appomattox on Main Street
- A Stranger Sings — Dec. 2-5, 9-12, 16-19 at Wolf Den
- Wings and Wheels — Aug. 14, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Aviation and automobile showcase with live music, food trucks and more at 6775 Beck Chappell Drive Dinwiddie, Virginia.
Brunswick County, Virginia
- The Pea Hill Creek Veterans Tribute — July 3, annual fireworks and veterans tribute waterfront show located on Pea Hill Creek, on Lake Gaston between Gasburg and Valentines, VA
- Jazz on the Square 2021 Festival — Sept. 2 at Courthouse Square 200 Block of North Main St. Lawrenceville, Virginia. firstname.lastname@example.org, free admission.
- Taste of Brunswick Festival — Oct. 9, at the Brunswick County Airport
- Brunswick Stew World Champion Cook-Off — Oct. 9. Vendors, activities, music and more. Free admission. tasteofbrunswickfestival.com.
- Blackstone Fireworks — July 3, at Wrigglesworth Sports Complex. Music, food, games for all ages. Fireworks start at dark. Bring chairs and blankets to sit on and enjoy.
- 52nd Blackstone Arts & Crafts Festival, Sept. 11-12, in the historic/museum area, downtown Blackstone.
- Barbeque Cook-Off — Oct. 9, next to the armory. Jazz music, beer and wine and BBQ! Bring chairs and blankets for a relaxing evening.
- Trick or treat in downtown Blackstone, Oct. 30. Meet at Seay Park in costume. Trick-or-treating begins at 2 p.m. and travels from the park to Tavern Street and back. Costume judging, books from the library give-away, fun for all!
- Grand Illumination — Nov. 26 at Seay Park at 6 p.m. Light up the park and visit the businesses to start off holiday celebrations.
- Blackstone’s Annual Christmas Parade — Dec. 10 (rain date of Dec. 13)
- Heart of Virginia Festival, Sept. 17-18. This festival is huge and should not be missed! High Bridge Ultra 50K and 30K race, Oct. 9, at the High Bridge Trail State Park, Rice, Virginia, 23966.
- Buckingham, The Historic Village at Lee Wayside
- Independence Day at the Village — July 3. Food, crafts and more at this family event
- Fall Farm Fest, date to be announced soon
- Indian Relic Show, Oct. 9
- Spooky Hollow Drive-thru — Oct. 30
- Village Christmas Market — Dec. 4